nopin

Friday, June 19, 2009

Solstice weekend

Well, Sunday is the Solstice, and then the days start getting shorter again, hahaha.

Tonight we are going to Foodstock at the Howling Dog.

Tomorrow at 10 p.m. is the Midnight Sun Run.

And on Sunday, the Solstice itself, is the Midnight Sun game.

From the Goldpanners' website:

In the entire baseball world, there is no team that has more natural a promotion than the Alaska Goldpanners and their celebrated Midnight Sun Game.

Since the Goldpanners are the farthest north baseball club on the face of the earth, where in summer the sun rarely stops shining, the team annually takes advantage of its unique geographic location by staging the patented Midnight Sun Baseball Game.

With Fairbanks a mere 160 miles south of the Arctic Circle, the sun is just beginning to set in the north as the game gets under way and, at its conclusion some three hours later, the sun begins to rise again - also in the north.

...

Never once has artificial lighting been used for this unique event...


Here is last night's supper going into the oven:


It's funny how similarly I cook here and in the San Francisco bay area. I get the best, freshest ingredients I can find, pour olive oil over them, and stick them in the oven. There are so few foods to which those steps do not apply.

7 comments:

Tails said...

Off topic, but thought you might like this: http://cuteoverload.com/2009/06/18/nobody-understands-emo-bun/ hehehe

djc said...

I see that you have both Cholula and Tapatio hot sauce there, and I respect that.

But for the record, Tapatio is the superior product.

Arvay said...

Hahaha! I honestly can't make up my mind. I put some of one on a forkful, and go, "Oh, that's nice." And then I put some of the other on my next forkful, and go, "Oh, that's nice, too!"

I feel so torn.

blippir said...

oooh! though i must your meat to veg ratio is a bit higher than in CA. are you really going to eat that entire piece of salmon?! must be the influence of hearty alaskan fare!

Arvay said...

We finished less than half of it. We are going to Foodstock tonight, so I have another day to think about what to do with leftover cold salmon (I don't like to reheat salmon because it gets dry). Maybe in pita bread with veggies and pickles!

I do eat more protein than I used to, especially in late Winter/early Spring, when I go though a crazy metabolic phase where I eat almost twice the calories that I eat during the rest of the year. Then is the only time that I feel that eating is a chore and not merely a pleasure. I have to stuff my face with PBJs, haha.

mdr said...

What is PBJs?

Eat healthy (with varieties) but in moderation (in quantity).

If you think you need more in winter, eat more frequently in small quantities. Five small meals is better than three big meals

Arvay said...

Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches. :)

Do you know how to make a peanut battah sandwich mo' nutrisher?

...
...
...

Put MO peanut battah!