nopin

Friday, June 12, 2009

What do you call a fish with no eyes?

A fsh.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! My favorite joke ever!

A-hem. Okay, please excuse that. On to the post.

On Monday, some friends of mine went to Chitina to go dip-netting in the Copper River. Dan declined to go along because he couldn't take the time off work, and I noticed how carefully and politely they did NOT invite me! Hrrmph. I concluded that it was intended to be a male bonding trip, so I didn't invite myself. I'm sure I don't want to be part of any male bonding rituals!

Anyway, among the four of them, they caught one. fish. Bummer! But said fish was brought to my home yesterday, and I baked it in the oven with lemon, garlic, and olive oil. Delicious! I'm sorry I forgot to take photos until it was nearly all consumed. It was such a lovely fish.

Fish with potatoes:


Dawgs:


Would-be fishermen:


A wild iris I photographed this morning on the banks of the Tanana:


In other news, a classmate of mine apparently had a polar bear encounter while on a research expedition in Svalbard. He shot it as it charged him. I hope if something like that ever happens to me, I have the presence of mind he showed. I do not think there is a more frightening animal on earth than the polar bear. They are pure carnivores, and huge, with paws the size of my head. And they have nasty, big, pointy teeth. I used to want to take one of those polar bear tours in Canada, but ever since seeing that stuffed one at the airport and how hugemongous he is, I think, you know, maybe not.

2 comments:

mdr said...

"UAF shotgun training course taught by Fairbanks resident Joe Nava. "

It would be good to take a class just for overall protection. Please be very very very careful when hiking.

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

One fish!??!?!!!? Betwixt FOUR of them??? Dipnetting reds in the Copper River and they only got ONE???

Something sounds... fishy ;)