nopin

Thursday, August 27, 2009

It's that time of year again...

Time for rainbows!


And fractal broccoli!


And bright, beautiful mornings!


Now you can see more of the cabin since I've been fixing it up in the evenings.

Here is the corner with the doofi and the woodstove:


Work done:
* Curtain rods up (at both the tops and bottoms of the windows, so the curtains won't billow into the wood stove and be a fire hazard).
* Doofi pen properly reinforced against collapsing.

Work to be done:
* Have chimney cleaned. (I took it apart to see how big a job it would be, then decided against doing it myself.)
* Make curtains. (accepting suggestions on colors/fabrics!)

Here is the kitchen:


Work done:
* Curtain rod up.
* Sagging shelves reinforced.
* Put in additional shelving.
* Sink recaulked.
* Leak under sink capped.
* Had electrician fix faulty wiring and bring in a 220V connection for my New! Range! that is coming tomorrow.
* Put safety switch on connection for water system.
* Fixed and reinforced ancient table that moved with me from California and had been in danger of collapse for the last decade.
* Put hooks in main beam for pots and pans.
* Put magnetic knife thingy on wall.

The beauty of log cabins is that you can store things by hanging them from the walls. And no need to find studs--the house is essentially made of studs!

Work to be done:
* Make curtain.
* Maybe hang wine glass rack (not sure if I need it now that I have so much shelving).
* Make my way-cool blue shelf from the extra cabinet door that I found, and mount it behind the range. I'm going to wait until my new range is here first, though, so I can decide on an appropriate height and depth for my way-cool blue shelf. :)

Loft:


Work done:
* Trimmed blinds so that they actually fit windows instead of reaching to the floor.

Work to be done:
* Nothing.

My favorite window. The views from all of my windows are pretty much identical--mixed stands of birch and black spruce--but for some reason this one is my favorite. I stand here and stare outside.


I love my door. It's home-made by the original builder of reclaimed oak from a table or something. It's also three layers thick, so thick that he had to hog out places to fit a standard doorknob and lock.


Also on the to-do list:
* Seal up the insulation around the edges of the floor.
* Take down a big black spruce tree that died in my front yard. More fire wood! My friend Dave is going to help me with this when he gets back from Greenland, where he is doing research on a glacier.
* Put foam board and plywood under the exterior of the floor insulation, which is currently held in my chicken wire. This can wait until next Summer. It's obviously fine enough for now, since it's been that way for eight or so years.
* Trim back the connection to the ski trail (I have my own! connection! to the ski! trail!).
* Stack the rest of the already cut wood and get it under tarps.
* Get a bigger oil tank.

So although this cabin was totally move-in ready, the little things here and there are still quite a bit of work!

Oh guess what? My first and so far only tomato ripened yesterday! I ate ONE YELLOW CHERRY TOMATO! Woweeeee!

7 comments:

Cathy said...

Where's the outhouse???????

Arvay said...

You can see a sliver of it in the photo of my favorite window! ;)

Debs said...

I got a fractal broccoli today too. I can never remember the proper name, so now that's what I'll call them. I love your new place (wishing I had a little log cabin in the woods too).

mdr said...

You have your mother's endurance and courage, but she does not have your handy ability. The cabin looks BEAUTIFUL. Great jobs you have put in. You made it more homy now.

Just be careful, ask for help or hire a handyman for work that is "possibly dangerous"

Anonymous said...

Beautiful door

Arvay said...

It's called romanesco, and it apparently is not some fancy hybrid that scientists came up with recently. It apparently dates from 16th century Italy. Galileo might have eaten fractal broccoli!

Rena said...

looking good! Animals look all happy and settled in and it sounds like you've been super busy.