nopin

Friday, August 14, 2009

Turning over a new leaf

Yesterday morning I did something different from my regular routine. As I kissed Dan goodbye, instead of saying, "Have a good day. I'll see you tonight," I thanked him for eight years of love, warmth, and friendship, loaded up my car with my last things still left in the house, and headed directly to my new cabin in Cripple Creek.

Yes, that's right, folks. I'm back in my old 'hood! I love my little place. It's just absolutely perfect--cheerful and bright, with large exposed beams and an actual staircase to the loft, so the girls can sleep beside me! It's on 2.74 acres of South-facing land with tall trees instead of permafrost. Best of all, the bottom of my hill drops right onto the ski trails, so my weekly ski dates with my friends (as well as the girls' friends) will now take place at my house!

It's been foggy and drizzly the past few days. I am sad for my bundles of beautiful green tomatoes, which will likely have to finish ripening indoors, but I find it an appropriate welcome back to Ester, because one of my favorite memories of living there was my beautiful commute--with shrouds of fog sitting in the pockets in between the rolling hills. It is absolutely stunning in the Fall, when all of the aspen and birch turn golden, and the contrast against the blue sky literally takes my breath away.

Here is my new living room:

I'm back to the crappy college-like furniture since all of the good stuff was Dan's. Well, I do have a nice dining room table, but it's falling apart, and I have no time to give it a proper restoration until I finish qualifying exams. For now, I have that beauty that you see there! But all of the kitchen stuff was mine, and I have good knives and pots and pans, and that's what's most important to me!

My mystery squash survived the move quite nicely. I had these labeled as acorn squash, but I'm pretty sure they are pumpkins! I must have mislabeled, haha.


My lakota squash survived, as well. Moving it was like moving a giant tarantula! I had to gather up all of the fruit-laden vines in my arms while a friend moved the pot, with me trailing behind.


My woods behind my cabin:


All of the fireweed has bloomed to their tops now. Summer is over!


Fred in his new digs:

That motorcycle belongs to the former owners. They are coming to pick it up tonight. It is they who are the proud owners of Autumn squared.

Part of my morning run. Ten minutes into this run, I felt like my soul had just reclaimed something very important it had lost while I lived in town.


Part of my aforementioned commute:

12 comments:

Rena said...

Sad and happy news all at once.
Here's to new adventures and rediscovering old haunts.

BTW, those are some pretty rockin blue cabinet doors in that kitchen! Somehow they make me want to wear tie dye and grow alfalfa sprouts on top of the counter....

So do you have indoor plumbing now?

mdr said...

Be safe and happy. I love you very much.

mdr said...

Is Fred your Norman :-)

DJC said...

Congratulations! The new cabin looks great!

The Enforcer said...

I'm proud of you for taking care of you. Can't wait to see more pics of the new digs...especially after you get the outhouse painted! ;)

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

Cripple Creek's a GREAT area (as you know), you and the dogs are gonna have loads of fun on the those trails this winter.

BTW, did you know you can build a sauna for the winter time out of a bunch of old freight pallets, a 55 gallon drum, and an old stove pipe? Great thing to have on the way to the outhouse.

Arvay said...

Ah... I'm sorry to tell you that I nixed my plan to Berkeley-ify my outhouse when I saw how beautiful the siding was. The door, however, is inexpensive plywood and therefore fair game. :)

Arvay said...

Oh! I found an extra blue cabinet door under the house, so I'm going to make it into a shelf above the stove. A bright blue shelf! Pretty groovy, eh?

Lots of free shelving under the house, come to think of it... The great thing about log homes is that you don't have to mount heavy things where the studs are--you can hang things anywhere you want!

mdr said...

I wonder what kind of wood AK people use to build log cabins such as yours? You might want to ask the previous owners for your own knowledge and information.

Please wear a pair of heavy gloves before digging into anything, especially under your cabin

Biting Tongue said...

Big! Changes! Exciting!

I am so full of energy just thinking about you and the new direction your life is taking with you at the reins!

Sure -- there is loss, but all big changes involve some aspect of loss and rejection. It's the courage to take that risk that is amazing!

I can't wait to come visit the new place!

-bt

Debs said...

Good luck in your new home, it sounds like the perfect location!

lucky_girl said...

I agree, it takes mountains of courage to do what you've done so kudos to you for recognizing what's right for you. and the house is adorable!! I'm simply in awe at how much hard labor you're willing to take on! i'd never think to install a power switch by myself. go girl!