nopin

Monday, May 16, 2011

ANSEP graduation banquet

I have been a study group leader for The Alaska Native Science and Engineering Program. It's not a difficult gig--most of the students are really bright, and doing better with their studies than I was at their age. ANSEP is a great program, and is especially helpful to students from rural villages who are feeling somewhat overwhelmed by the University setting. They have an annual banquet to honor the ANSEP students who are graduating each year.



I am breaking with my already very tenuous anonymity and privacy policies and posting photos of friends now.

Here is my lab mate M2 with his wife J. He and I don't work on projects together; we just share work space.


Here are two friends of mine from when I first moved to Fairbanks, who have since become a couple. Awwwwwww!


There were Native dancers:


The son of my neighbors across the street was among the honorees. Shown with the family is the outgoing (retiring) director of ANSEP, Dr. Tom Clausen. He's a very, very, very kind man and was an effective leader. He will surely be missed.


Dr. Clausen and yours truly:


I won one of the door prizes! A snow mask to protect against snow blindness. It was carved, coincidentally, by the brother of my neighbor, J, who is shown above with his wife and son:


Hmmm why am I looking so grumpy? Let me take another shot with a Linden look:

Alright! I'm happy! I'm Linden!

1 comment:

mdr said...

I really really really like how you looked in that simple white dress :-) I hope they served better food than pizza :-)