nopin

Monday, April 1, 2013

Big changes afoot...

Well, since I will officially be a Dr. this May, I figured it's time to start looking for my next project. And since all of my major projects in life so far have been career-related, and I'm now 35 (which is "middle-aged", according to the U.S. Census designations), I've decided that it's time to do a little soul-searching about the meaning of life, of mine in particular (since it's the only one I can control). Since I've had several long-term, but failed relationships, and I'm now approaching over the hill, I think it's time for me to consider that I may be single for a while. As I approach 40, this means I'm seriously slamming the door on ever having children.

But then I thought... not so fast! My neighbors, with whom I am close, have done foster care and adopted their two youngest daughters, who are both lovely young ladies now. So I thought, why not me? I have the love and the financial resources. With a job that is stable and comes with benefits, I think I'd make a great mom! So I thought I'd start with fostering. I've put myself on the foster parent list for particularly troubled youth, and will start training over the next several months. I'm going to take in foster kids who need a temporary home, and if any come that are particularly cute, I'll ask if I can keep it.

Onward to the grandest adventure yet!

7 comments:

Vanessa said...

You never cease to amaze me. You are so awesome! Wishing you the best on this great adventure.

Allmycke said...

Go for it! Along with heart aches that are sure to come, you will also get so much in return.

Rena said...

Hooray, Arvay! Congratulations on your new adventure. You know, of course, that having only child at a time is problematic - they get bored by themselves and it's always nice to have someone to play with. Best to have children in pairs or more. So be sure to adopt more than one if you can!

b said...

April fool's! :)

mdr said...

I bet Vanessa and Allmycke both HAD already fostered or adopted kids before, so they can say, with ease, that you should also do what they did. They are good friends.

Allmycke said...

(Blushing slightly...)
Boy was I ever had!
But like mdr wrote - I do a kind of fostering by being guardian for some "unaccompanied minors" who live in a compound in town. It's very rewarding and I learn new things all the time - but they can also drive me to distraction at times. Just like ANY teenager can, in other words.

Arvay said...

Heeee! Hee hee. :)