nopin

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Spring is here, but so is the snow...

M and I took a day hike in the White Mountains yesterday. What a gorgeous day! We could totally have skied--the snow was soft and lush and perfect. Oh well. Walking was nice, too.







The ptarmigan were still in their winter white, as they walked around:


The views to Wickersham Dome, and around the mountains, were splendid:




Today, I took Autumn and Linden to walk our usual ski loop behind our house, and found that it, too, would have been skiable, had I brought my skis. Oh well:


Behbehmoose tracks!


I didn't see any mamamoose tracks, though. I guess behbehmoose has already gotten the boot so mama can have new meeses.

I also dug out the pile of round logs and continued on with splitting and stacking it. I had wanted to continue working on it all through the previous winter, but every time I dug it out, it would snow the very next day and cover it again! I think it was around January or February when I finally gave up. But I lifted its snow cap off last weekend, and now it's all accessible:


My old wedge is starting to mushroom out of control, so I got a new one. Comparison:


I'll need to order more wood as soon as I clear my little pile to make space for it to be dumped! All I have left are this small stack:


And this small stack:


Ahhh, Fairbanks! Just as the snow starts to disappear, it's time to plan for next winter!

Edited to add: Minor News sez, It's a record cold spring! Brrrrr!

No comments: