nopin

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Teaching a class is very analogous to taking a class

1) You have to meet at a regular time and place each week.

2) You have to lug around a giant textbook and develop expertise with its content.

3) You stress out over homework problems. (Student: How do I do these? Professor: How do I choose only 10% of all of these problems and ensure that it prepares these students for engineering careers?)

4) You stress out over exams. (Student: I need to cram all this material in! Professor: How the heck do I come up with appropriate exam questions in an appropriate quantity?)

5) Student: Stay up late the night before the exam studying. Professor: Stay up late the night before the exam writing and double-checking the exam.

6) Student: How do I appropriately write a term paper? Professor: How do I appropriately grade a term paper?

7) Student: Yaaaay! Almost done with the course! Professor: Yaaaay! Almost done with the course!

In other news: hybrid polar/grizzly bears! I had heard of these guys before and wondered which was crossing the Brooks Range and gettin' some... Polar bears going south or grizzly bears going north? I decided it was the former, adapting behavior due to climate change. HOWEVER! In at least one case, it looks like I was wrong! The article describes a grizzly bear hunting seals from pack ice! Nature, she is amazing.

1 comment:

mdr said...

Good to see the semester come to the end, good to get the valuable teaching experience, proud to be good enough to teach others.