nopin

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Two interesting articles

You know you're in Interior Alaska when...

What makes a cabin a cabin?

Would you like my opinion? All places without running water are cabins, but not all cabins lack running water. I also think frame homes (not logs) can be cabins. To me, a cabin is just a small, simple place, usually with under 3 rooms, and maybe or maybe not a loft. Those giant log homes along the Chena are definitely "log homes". There is no such thing as a cabin mansion!

How do I know I am in Interior Alaska? I like the ones about how you can't ever go grocery shopping without bumping into multiple friends and acquaintances. Also, the heat vs. cold, the mosquitoes, yes, all of those. Two that they forgot are:

(1) You know you're in Interior Alaska when you can't tarry by the side of a road without everyone stopping their cars to ask if you need help.

(2) You know you're in Interior Alaska when you and everyone you know is covered in dog hair.

4 comments:

mdr said...

One guy said something like " I am perfectly capable of living in a dry cabin, but I chose not to"

I will add this: A cabin without running water is a home-want-to-be.

Arvay said...

Different strokes for different folks! I am happier in my cabin than I have EVER been, ANYplace else, in my entire life, running water or no. You can't take that away from me, no matter how you try. I know your intentions are good, but you really sound mean-spirited.

You know that you cannot change your daughter or her chosen life. The only thing you get to choose is how you react. Do you choose to celebrate your daughter's happiness, even if it's achieved in an unconventional way? Or do you choose to try to destroy it by reminding her every chance you get that she should not be happy?

I will add this: A life spent trying to destroy the happiness of someone you supposedly love is a life want-to-be.

Debs said...

I love the bit about the dog hair - I want to visit Alaska!

Arvay said...

@Debs, better do it soon, while we are at solar max and will have lots of dancing aurora!