Friday, June 5, 2015

Palmer Shennanigans

On Monday, DL and I were invited to the UAF Matanuska Experiment Farm to look at a GEK gasifier unit that had been rescued from two years of disuse at Icy Straits Lumber, which never ended up using their exciting purchase. The GEK is an integrated unit that gasifies dry biomass products (e.g., wood chips, walnut shells) and immediately uses its own gasification products to create synchronous 3-phase power. Quite exciting! This unit is now going to live at the Farm to be used for research and education. Two of the designers came up from All Power Labs in Berkeley to restore the unit from its neglect and train us energy researchers how to use it.

DL and I decided, a day in Palmer? Let's make it a camping/hiking trip! The farm folks offered to let us camp on the farm, which had, among other amenities, showers and tame moose.

The drive south was beautiful. We could see Denali:

Our campsite wasn't bad either:

This life is not too rough:

The Chugach Mountains were beautiful with the full moon:

Here is the gasifier unit:

And a tame moose! There were three of them that let me rub their noses and ears.

They had eaten all of the willow from their enclosure, so I picked more for them, which they took as gently as a horse nuzzles an apple:


And I finally got to see the Wind for Schools turbine at Matanuska-Susitna College:


mdr said...

Nice sceneries. Always be careful with animals that are supposed to be in the wild. Just be careful out there.

Anonymous said...

That looks like an expensive piece of equipment to buy and then not use. I wonder what happened? Nice of them to donate it to your school, though. How'd you get it back to Fairbanks?
Nice spot to camp too. That seems so Alaska - Hey, can I camp somewhere around here? Sure, we've got a big spot over there next to the parking lot! Don't forget to say hi to Bulwinkle over there.

Rena said...

Oops, I'm not anonymous!
Hmmm, are unnamed moose, Anonymoose?

Arvay said...

@Rena, very funny, Anonymoose! It's in Palmer. It came up from Hoonah via ferry and then on a small truck. It's mounted on a pallet for easy handling!