nopin

Friday, August 12, 2011

Blueberry psychosis

So yesterday my neighbors let me in on the family secret blueberry patch. And I picked two gallons.


Of course I had to make pies, one to be carried immediately across the street as a thank you gift:


Also, thanks to faithful reader (and friend in the meat world!) Rena and her brilliant idea, I used the scraps to make sweet potato empanadas:


I had not planned to make pies last night, but in my blueberry-induced delirium, I just had to. When else would I have an opportunity to make two full-sized pies with fresh blueberries the same day I had picked them?


As they baked, I paid some bills, did some filing, did some leisure reading, and stared at the oven timer. I felt more than a little antsy and felt like calling someone to show off my haul, but whom could I call? It was too late Outside Alaska to call anyone, and within Alaska, it'd be taboo to spread the family secret, and it'd be unkind to brag without being able to do so. So I chittered at the dogs and felt slightly ridiculous.


The prior evening, I took my Mormon missionary friends on a berry identification expedition on top of Murphy Dome. We only had about an hour, so we got a few berries, and I told them which were blueberries, which were cranberries, and which were crowberries, and I told them about the good local spots. This is how beautiful it was:


Here is a spider web I saw this morning from my window. It was shining with dew and very beautiful in the morning light:

3 comments:

mdr said...

would you ship the other pie over, yummmmmmyyy

Rena said...

Hahahaha, you and the Mormons! So funny. "Well we didn't convert anyone but we got some berries!"

Meat world? At first I thought you meant meat-eating world. Why yes, I -do- happen to consume meat, but then I figured it out.

Sweet potato empanadas, mmmmm!

Anonymous said...

So did you eat both pies, in their entirety, in one sitting (as I would)?

If not, did the dogs help themselves?

:)