nopin

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Pie! Pie! Pie!

I made my first berry pies of the season last night:


I generally ball crust scraps together and put them in the freezer, thinking that one day I'll have enough for an entire crust. In reality, what happens is that I find it about a year later, freezer-burned, glazed with frost, and smelling slightly of fish, and throw it out. Last night I said, waste not, want not! And just baked the scraps:

And, dear God, they were delicious!

Pie! Pie! Pi!

I brought two to my neighbors, and they ate them immediately, which made me happy. The guy even literally licked his plate! That totally made my night.

I feel very fortunate and blessed to be a person who can and will make pie, sew, cook, clean, tend a garden, split wood, clear land, and do minor repairs around my house with equal aplomb. So many women I have met take what I consider to be misguided pride in their inability and/or refusal to partake in traditional feminine activities. I have heard women brag that they cannot cook. I feel sad for them because it seems a misguided application of feminism, whose goal, I believe, was to establish equality between the sexes. Reducing the abilities of one's to match the other's is one way of doing it, but wouldn't it be better if we both gained each other's instead?

You know what's the best part about making pie?

You get to eat pie.

6 comments:

mdr said...

The pies don't look as good as those from bakeries, but I know they must taste sooo good, because CH and JE still talked about how good your pumpkin pies were.

And I still miss your beef noodle soup, yummy..

mdr said...

were those red ones rasbarries? cranberries? un-identified berries?

bt said...

PIE!!!!

rena said...

Amen! Skills are skills no matter the sex or historic role. Mmmm, pie!
Dave's solution to extra crust is turnovers, filled with jam....much like baked empanadas.

I have read that the best pie crusts are made of bear tallow. Doubt I will ever get a chance to test that theory...

Arvay said...

The red ones are raspberries. :)

Vanessa said...

Cooking/baking is a second close to eating in my fun activity list! Mind blowing that anyone would brag they can't cook. Eeeshk.