nopin

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The first whispers of fall

The fireweed blooms are approaching the tops as their bottoms go to seed and float away, a few aspens are just starting to turn one or two of their boughs golden, and that light! That sky! That amazing Northern blue sky! Those chunky shafts of golden sun, streaming down through those trees that are even now preparing for their winter slumber...


My younger friends are taking their physics comprehensive exams this week, and sandhill cranes are circling overhead, staging their migration. I remember them doing this as I sat for my own comps, and these two things will always be linked in my mind, as will rainbows and fractal broccoli. All signs of late summer.

Miss Millie B. Doofus, Supreme Ruler of the People's Independent Republic of Bunnistan, sez: "Thanks for the willow, proletariat!"


I forgot my camera at the office yesterday, so you don't get a photo of my CSA pickup this week. I know! How can you live now? But I got a purple cabbage, a sweet pepper, two reasonably-sized zucchinis, a fractal broccoli, two fennel bulbs, a bunch of leek, a bag of sweet peas in the pods, a bunch of mature beets with greens, and some other stuff I don't recall right now.

3 comments:

Rena said...

mmmm, what will you do with the fennel? I remember making a great Jamie Oliver salad - thinly slice/shred one fennel bulb, one big raw beet, and one green apple. Top with bits of blue cheese and olive oil, balsamic. Of course, noone but me ate it, but that's par for the course around here.

Is it fall already over there? I suppose it is here too - we had a cool foggy morning, and my bean vines are starting to peter out. #1 starts kindergarten tomorrow...so long, Summer!

Arvay said...

I don't care for fennel, so I give it away. I do give a few fronds to Milliebun, though. Having a licorice scented bunny is very, very cute. :)

mdr said...

Enjoy your new weekly antioxident :-)