nopin

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

White Mountains Visit

Can you ever have too many blueberries? We spent the weekend in the White Mountains pushing that limit.

There are lovely, well-maintained cabins every 7-15 miles, perfect hiking distances. I love BLM! We stayed at Lee's Cabin:


The interior:


Look at all the food we brought! And that's just two people's!


The lofts. This wee cabin sleeps 7! Whenever I stay in public use cabins, I browse through the log books' recent entries to check for bear activity, etc. And every time, I see at least several entries from people I know!


It was grey and drizzly the whole weekend. Here is the normally spectacular view across the valley:


And here is the muddy, but still tolerable, trail we'd just come in on:


Linden looking in:


Another self portrait fail:


The BLM cabins have nice pot-belly wood stoves for heat:


The girls are impatient to get going while I snap photos of the cabin in the morning:


But eventually they give up and settle down, haha:


Blueberries! Yay!


The view to Wickersham Dome was obstructed by fog and clouds:


Three types of berries! Blueberries, cranberries, and crowberries! The cranberries will be ripe soon!


I couldn't help but snatch berries throughout the walk back:


We saw fresh bear sign on the trail that morning, so we made lots of noise!

3 comments:

mdr said...

Blueberries, cranberries, just berries, sockeye salmons, less industrially polluted air, lot of hiking/skiing.. positive thoughts of frontier living..

Rena said...

How neat! I'm digging that cabin. That's quite a distance to haul all that food + cooking gear! As I re-read Wizard of Oz with the kids, I see now that she ate bread and water for the first few days on the yellow brick road, and then had to forage. One day she only ate nuts. Another day she only ate fruits, although the Cowardly Lion -did- offer to bring her a deer to roast.

What do crowberries taste like? I can't quite pick them out in the photo.

Arvay said...

Crowberries are those shiny black ones (shiny and black like crows!). Some locals call them blackberries, and there is no confusion for them since there are no blackberries as I know them, hereabouts. :)

They taste to me like mildly sugared water. I know folks who love them and pick and store them, but I don't bother with them. I've heard you can use them to fill out a blueberry pie if you don't have enough blueberries, since they match the color and don't have any flavor to compete.

I like to snack on them while hiking since they are so full of water, but I don't bring any home!