nopin

Monday, February 18, 2008

Heat wave!

We are now experiencing temperatures in the 20F range, and should be for at least a week. It's the craziest thing... I strip clothes off while I run, and come back sweating like a pig. Autumn lies on the floor and pants. But it is still below freezing! Are we losing our minds? I cannot imagine how cooooold I would have thought 20F was just a year ago. I'm quite baffled and I'm not sure what is happening to my body.

I must say that I am quite ambivalent at seeing the last of Winter. The sunlight is wonderful--we saw our first truly gorgeous sunrise since Fall this morning. A million colors exploding over the river and washing down the hills. And not wearing a ton of clothes is nice. But I don't quite appreciate all the sweating and panting and huffing and puffing! Ew! I will quite miss our long Winter runs, just snow and silence, cold and Autumn and me, running strong in our optimal running weather...

We only have a month or so left of skiing, as well. Bummer! I hope we have another good snowfall or two before it's all over!

1 comment:

Fwx Sharon said...

Replying to your comment on my page. I'm not moving to Texas. I left AK for a couple years and then "ran" back when I had a good chance. Texas is just for winter thawing out. The novelty of the short days is gone for me though Fairbanks is now home. I must have sent a tap root down here. It's the people as well as the place. As I like to put it, "You just feel freeer up here." As a San Franciscian I appriciate the querky.(sp)

I missed the 1989 earthquake by about 2 months. I felt like they were going to revoke my "San Franciscan" card. The thing I feared my whole life happened, 2 months after I moved away. Ah well. I was in CA for the 2002 big earthquake up here. I'm good at dodging bullets I guess.

When people ask me why there are so many good Thai resturants here I tell them "Because the first one was REALLY good." I found a Thai resturant in my old neighboorhood in SF that's as good as the best Fairbanks ones.