nopin

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Report from the Academic Front

Stat Mech--insanely difficult. Lectures consist of the prof barfing greek letters all over the board, and me scribbling them down as quickly as I can, with zero comprehension. Homework is a lot of guesswork, and I consider myself lucky if I get half the points.

Upper Division undergraduate E&M--insanely easy. The prof gives us integrals, even trivial ones. For example, he informed us very nicely that the integral of the cosine was the sine. Yup, he's that soft. :)

Nonlinear dynamics--awesome. Perfect level of difficulty. I am learning new concepts but not getting my butt kicked. Our prof is awesome and great at explaining things. I had wanted to do research with her, but now find that she doesn't have funding to test any applications, just computer simulations, so that would mean coding, coding, and coding, for my entire research. No, thank you! It would be cool work though, if we could actually test applications. Like if we had a wind tunnel! Or a wave machine! But no luck. It's a damned shame.

And finally, I am meeting with faculty to see whom I'd like to work with and who would like to take me on as a research assistant. It's been a bit of a loopy odyssey, but I hope to have it all worked out soon, and I'll let y'all know what happens!

1 comment:

The Enforcer said...

Math is hard. Let's go shopping! -Malibu Stacy