nopin

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Weather Report

So it's been about -50F/-45C for a few days now, and a Sili valley friend informs me that we have made the news down there. That this is news surprises me somewhat--my understanding is that we should have more than a few days like this every Winter. Nevertheless, if this is comment-worthy, then your intrepid reporter will offer her comments.

1) Yes, it is cold! Remember how I told you that -20F/-30C was still comfortable, even to run in? Well, -40 is not! It is cold! Even Autumn is cold! I haven't taken her for walks since the temps came this far down, and when she goes out to pee, she goes as quickly as she can and then high-tails it for the house! And this is a dog that used to live outside year-round! (She had only a straw-lined, but otherwise uninsulated, dog house. And no, this is not cruel, that I know of. Most sled dogs live like that. Autumn is just spoilt now. Which she deserves!)

2) "Ice fog" is a euphemism for "smog that can't go anywhere because the air is so dense and still and everyone's cars are burning rich in the cold air." It's disgusting and yet another reason that I am thankful to live outside of town!

3) Yes, we still go outside, not for recreational purposes, but we do not alter our general patterns of working and running errands. But it is not difficult to stay warm and comfortable. I wear boots that are rated to -25F/-32C, and they are warm to -40 or so and are remarkably lightweight (I love Sorels!). I wrap lightweight wool scarves around my face so I don't breathe cold air. And I'm still loving this hat... my head has yet to be cold!

Temperatures are supposed to come up over the next few days, though there are no predictions for snow. This gives me pause. How can temperatures come up with no clouds to bring snow and warmth?

We shall see.

No comments: