nopin

Saturday, December 20, 2008

And onto Winter break!

Everyone seemed to be out on the Tanana today. Hobby skiers, serious skiers, snowmachiners, skijorers, dogsled teams, ice fishers, and dog walkers. Pervading the scene was that unique eerie loveliness that only occurs in polar regions in Winter--the sun was low, and reflected pink, orange, and golden against the bright, no-longer-white snow, which looked like cotton candy. The sky was bright, but at no point blue. The air was sparkling with ice crystals and making funny optical effects--sundogs that appeared to be only a few feet ahead of you, pixie dust swirling around stationary points in the air.

I was skiing while the girls ran loose. At one point, a highly skilled skate skier overtook us from behind. I stopped and stared in awe. He was strong, graceful, and fluid, and was moving as quickly, using his own power, as I do when I am skijoring. All of his muscles moved in perfect harmony, like a leopard. To complete the picture, he had two dogs with him, the tallest, lankiest huskies I had ever seen, who were running along with him at almost their full stride. WHOOSH this crew blew passed us, and I thought, "Whuh... buh... buh..."

So I am trying to teach myself to skate ski. I will never, ever look like that guy, but it sure did look like fun. I stepped into his tracks and placed my skis where his tracks were in the snow, imitating his angles and his stride. Of course, I had to make slight modifications since he was much taller than I, but I think I got the hang of it. I really moved! I got out of breath quickly, though, and very soon had to swap my warm jacket for a light windbreaker. I'd like to practice some more, maybe with the dogs helping.

Tomorrow is the Solstice. We'll be gaining daylight after that!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wear a good pair of sun glasses?!

Have fun and enjoy but be alert and careful.

Arvay said...

Sun... hmmmm... what's that?

I don't need sunglasses at this time of year. It's like sunrise and sunset, all day.