nopin

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Brrrr!

It's apparently -41F at Freddie's!



But it's a balmy -30F on campus. I used to think that these thermometers around town were all dreadfully inaccurate, but now I am a believer in the microclimates. It truly can be a noticeably different temperature a quarter of a mile away over flat terrain.

It doesn't feel so cold to me today as it has some other cold days. I think your comfort level depends a lot on your current metabolic state as well as the external temperature.

Yes, it is bitterly cold, but also uniquely beautiful. We have our tie-dyed sky, our ice polar bears, and our cotton-candy snowy landscape. We have our warm, unpretentious people and our ecstatically happy dogs.

I may not be "smart enough" to avoid cold weather, but I don't think I will ever grow as a person if I never step outside of my comfort zone, and experience new pleasures as well as new pains. I hope that when I stand before God at the end of my life, he at some point says to me, "And by the way, I'm sure glad you enjoyed all the gifts I gave you."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's time for a post about how using the outhouse in the winter is going - since we were wondering about that in the summer.

Arvay said...

Oh, it's got a crazy hoarfrost growth on the underside of the toilet lid. The blue foam seat is awesome--no cold ass. My only complaint is the doorknob, because it's metal and I can't wear gloves since I can't open my zipper with gloves on. So touching the doorknob can be quite painful. :/

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with the idea about stepping outside your comfort zone - people who don't do that, miss out on a lot in life.

Could you tie an old mitten or glove over the cold doorknob? Or even crochet/knit a little cover for it if you're feeling a bit more creative?

Arvay said...

Gee, Debs, people like you with your practical, obvious advice make me feel so dumb. :) I had been thinking of buying a plastic doorknob from the hardware store and replacing it, but of course covering it is the easier and cheaper solution. :)

Anonymous said...

I like how your ME brain thinks though... Metal and cold bad, I'll find a better material!

So MEish.... Althought the old mitten is more practical, Heck you could make colorful ones and be a bit of an Entrepurner (sp?)..