nopin

Sunday, December 7, 2008

On the river today

We got several inches of fresh snow last night. Today I took the girls to the Tanana and skied while they ran free, and I snapped quite a few photos (until my battery got too cold) in attempt at a Christmas card photo. It was cold because of the wind on the river.

The Tanana is wide:


The girls ran quite a bit ahead.


Autumn zipping by:


Linden prancing with joy:


Waiting for me as I fall behind, skiing with the camera crammed in my armpit to get more out of the battery:


Running back to me. We can't be separated for long!


Then exploring ahead again:


The sun is low:


Though it is almost noon:


Our shadows are long:


Our track behind us, as we return:


As we came off the river, we met the family that runs the Lemongrass, which is the best Thai restaurant in a town of a dozen Thai restaurants. They were out for a walk on the river. Yes, a walk, not a ski nor a snowshoe. No, not to ice fish. Just to walk. I was amazed. I'm sure they promptly sunk up to their knees in the fresh snow, but it was nice to see them out enjoying themselves.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How beautiful. When the sun is at its peak, how high up does it get? Just above the surrounding mtns? Looking forward to seeing how the Xmas card turns out, which reminds me that I need to work on our own...aagh.

Arvay said...

It gets just as high as that photo, no more. I didn't think I got any good shots, but when I sat down at the computer and tried one, it actually looked rather nice. I look forward to getting my annual photo of your wee ones... my friends' kids and animals are my favorite things on the fridge, and I leave them up all year. :)

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

I love the pics of the dogs playing in the snow. Keep posting them!

Is Lemongrass still at Chena Pump Plaza? When I left Fairbanks there were only 3 Thai places and Lemongrass was the best.

Arvay said...

Yes, it is. And it it still the best! I love also that they use locally grown produce as much as possible.