nopin

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Sad, sad, sad

Dear Weather Gods: This is not okay! We need snow not just to maintain the water table and for recreation, but it just so happens that I do research on snow. Hrrmph!

Bunn sez:

"More snow, please. Or I shall chomp your ankle tendons."

Here is Linden being cute and Autumn being warm and fuzzy:


And Miss Millie being a round fuzzball:


By the way, Punxsutawney Phil apparently announced we'd have six more weeks of Winter. He did not make the front page of the Fairbanks paper. Here, six more weeks of Winter is not exactly news.

And by another way, my Scottish friend Linda has just confirmed for me, that in Europe they call moose "elk" and elk "wapiti". This in addition to calling cookies "biscuits" and not having a word for biscuit. Probably because they don't have Mississippi, so they don't have biscuits. And it's a shame, my friends. It's a darned shame, to live without biscuits.

11 comments:

Rena said...

perhaps because biscuits resemble savory scones? hmmm, interesting.

I, for one, would welcome more winter - I'd very much like more chances to go up to the snow.

Hey, dunno when you're supposed to start seedlings up there, but I've got some seedlings sitting on the side of my living room. I found some alpine strawberry seeds and thought immediately of you. They've created the smallest seedlings you've ever seen.

Anonymous said...

Is Miss Millie's nose fur growing back? It kind of looks like it is.

Arvay said...

Millie's nose? I guess it is. I see her every day, so it's difficult for me to tell.

And I do have alpine strawberries. I bought them as seedlings from Ann's Greenhouses. She said they might overwinter, so we'll see. :)

mdr said...

Have a great day/night. You are really a good writer, better than blp and her family.

Debs said...

You've reminded me of a story by an American author which I read when I was little, where a girl was eating "biscuits". They clearly weren't normal UK biscuits, and it had me wondering what they were for years. I'd completely forgotten about it until now - so please do explain!

Arvay said...

Here, Debs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscuit

I loves me some biscuits! :)

Rena said...

As long as we're talking about biscuits, the best way to "cut" the butter into the flour is to freeze the butter and grate it into the flour mix using a cheese grater. Often I don't even bother freezing the butter, just work fast.
Works for pie crust too.

Arvay said...

That's brilliant, Rena! I've cut frozen butter using a cleaver for pie crust, but I'd never thought of using a grater! That's grate! :)

Arvay said...

Debs, what does the word "cookie" mean to you?

Debs said...

When I was very little, I'd never heard the word cookie. When I first came across it, it was a bit like learning any "foreign" word - i.e. I was told it was American for (our type of) biscuits. And that was that!

The word cookie is used much more the in the UK now, and usually refers to large soft-baked biscuits of a particular type. Things like Oreos etc are just "biscuits" (you can get those here now), and brownies, flapjacks would be cakes if you had to categorise them.

So there you go! I love food discussions!

Debs said...

Oh, and thanks for the link - your biscuits are not what I expected them to be at all. I especially enjoyed the photo of the oldest ship's biscuit! LOL