nopin

Friday, June 1, 2012

Full disclosure

So, after enthusiastically expostulating on the downsides of overly cushioned running shoes, and after happily embracing the minimalist shoe trend, I feel the need to point out a slight problem.

It turns out that running on dirt roads that are generously sprinkled with angular rocks the size of golf balls can sometimes bruise the bottoms of one's foot:
(Please forgive me for foisting upon you a photo of my unsightly foot, but there it is...)

One of the few things I remember about my father is that he was a practitioner of reflexology, who believed that different regions of the feet correlated with different regions of the rest of the body, and that by stimulating the affected foot regions, one could improve the health of the corresponding body region. He also believed that one could improve one's overall health by walking barefoot on cobblestones or other rough surfaces. Running, however, may be a bit too much.

So, I have put aside my beloved Merrell Barefoots for the summer. Until snow returns to cushion the roads, I will be needing human technology to cushion me! After spending a good four minutes sitting in stunned, disbelieving silence as Zappos barfed up no fewer than 1076 pairs of women's running shoes, I plumped for brand loyalty and went to GoLite, makers of my trusty rain shell jacket and also of my minimalist hiking shoes. Lo and behold, they offer the GoLite Dart, with a zero drop from heel to toe, excellent traction, and some sturdy cushioning.

Funnily enough, when I went to the GoLite website just now to grab the link for y'all, the home page had this on it:

Yes! Rocks hurt! Save me, shoes!

4 comments:

mdr said...

Running hurts just by itself. The guy (cannot remember his name as usual) who started this whole running frenzy and wrote many books about running being good died as he was running. It was the Parkmerced time when I read the news.

Please check with a podiotrist for your foot, don't let it get infected.

mdr said...

Google is the best thing. I searched for the guy's name. He was Jim Fixx, the title of the news was "The man started the jogging trend died of heart attach during jogging" He was also young.

Fast walking is better, not running or jogging. Animals run when in danger, they don't run just for the sake of running.

Turtle lives longer than rabbit. Moderation moderation moderation.

mdr said...

Buy a box of Epson Salt in pharmacy, it is known for easing foot pain by soaking your foot in there.

b said...

I didn't realize you were into the whole barefoot shoes trend, though I don't read your blog religiously like some people and may have missed your posts about it. I know one guy who got barefoot shoes for hiking but isn't doing it anymore. And that was for hiking. Running would be harsher. Like Mdr said, moderation. Like any hot trend, they may change their minds in a few years and say it actually hurts you!