nopin

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Life must be Different in the Villages

Yesterday, I sent a work-related email to the City Manager (what small rural villages have instead of a mayor) of a rural (i.e., not on the road system) Alaskan village, population 310 as of the 2000 census.

The email address was citymanager@cityof(townname).com

I got in response an auto-reply:
The City of (name redacted) has changed its email to (first name of city manager)(town name)@gci.net.

gci is the local internet service provider.

It would be as if I had emailed the mayor of Springfield at the email address mayor@springfield.com, and gotten an autoreply:

The City of Springfield has changed its email to JoeSpringfield@earthlink.net.

So much cultural and sociological information in one line, and in its delivery method!

3 comments:

mdr said...

That is how Berkeley governement workers feel about themselves. Berkeley is their assets for current earnings, future retirement that covers their family including domestic partners. They are all #@*&^xberkeley@berkeleyca.gov

Arvay said...

LOL! I wasn't commenting on how he feels about himself. I was commenting on how the town (1) apparently stopped using its own server and (2) apparently does not use automatic forwarding when the head honcho changes his email address!

mdr said...

I knew you didn't mean what I said. However, I think Berkeley officials would do the same for different reasons except they would always have their own server for they have abudant revenues from Berkeley taxpayers.