nopin

Friday, February 20, 2009

Apparently skiing requires more food than running

It's finally light enough to ski on the river at 8 a.m. Knowing I wouldn't have to be in early this morning, I took the girls and we headed off. About two miles down the river, I hit the metaphorical "wall" that marathoners talk about. I don't understand how I am able to run up to ten miles on a banana and a cup of tea, but I can't even ski two miles. I stood still for a moment, utterly bewildered. My legs felt like bags of sand. So I put on the girls' harnesses and had them pull me back.

And the timing couldn't have been better. As I was putting on the girls' harnesses, a mama moose and baby moose came out to cross the river in the direction in which we had originally been headed. I sure wouldn't have wanted to get too close to them!

It's great (and rare) to have dogs that do double duty as both friends and emergency transport! Blood sugar bonk? No problem! Only one ski? No problem! And if, God forbid, I ever hurt myself and am unable to ski back, as long as I have use of at least one leg, they'll be able to take me home. Touch wood that that never happens!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such good girls you have! :D

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

Have you thought about bring a small stash of pitted dates with you? Not only are they an almost complete food, but they have a higher GI than pure sucrose so the carbs kick in quick during a bonk.

Anonymous said...

Dried pricots work well too, or or my favourite, which is dark chocolate.

Your dogs are just amazing. Surely they do have some tiny imperfection though?!

Arvay said...

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I always have a stash of Clif bars in my backpack, but I'm generally reluctant to go into my "emergency supplies" unless I have an actual emergency! Of course that is silly--what are they for, after all?

I had never thought of dried fruit, though. What about runner's trots? Would that encourage such a problem?

Anonymous said...

I often used to cycle 60+ miles in a day (though I've never been a runner) and I've never once had a problem with overdosing on dried fruit like apricots. That's even when I've eaten most of the packet, because I'm a piglet who loves fruit LOL If you're used to a healthy high fibre diet, I imagine you won't notice anything different ;-)

Anonymous said...

KNOCK AT THE WOOD. You will be safe and well always.

Don't rely on dogs too much, I suggest you to practice once or twice with the dogs, AS IF you need them.

DO NOT RUN OR EXERCISE AFTER A MEAL. Dried dates are good, they are sweet, light weight and nutritious