nopin

Saturday, February 28, 2009

It's great to be a dog!

We got 7-8 inches of fresh, powdery snow last night. Fairbanks' snow is very light and dry, so you promptly sink up to your knees. At least I did. I took the girls to the Tanana, and there was only one set of tracks on the new snow--left by a local musher who gives rides as a business. His dogs are sweet, like my girls, and often run up to strangers to be petted. Anyway, at some point, he went in a direction that I didn't want to go, so the girls and I had to break our own trail. It was difficult, and I couldn't quite follow the trail that we skiers, along with the local community of snowmachiners and dog mushers, had been gradually building up and packing all Winter long. So I pushed my way here and there, zigzagging back and forth through the deep, soft powder. At some point, a snowmachiner overtook us, so I got into his track and hooked up to the girls and had them take me home.

Here are photos.

The girls for some reason like to jump into the front section of the car every now and then. It's funny. You open the hatchback, and they jump out, excited to take off for our hike or ski adventure. Then you open the back door to get out your backpack or skis, and they both jump in! And then plop down on the seats, and get all comfy!


The girls LOVE fresh powder! They bounce around with big smiles on their faces.


Enjoying the moment.


Snowy noses:


A Winter wonderland:


I love this house on the cliff. I think it's so picturesque.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you love them and me ( I love you so much), please always keep dogs in the hatchback when driving. NO EXCEPTIONS.

They don't know any better, you are the one to protect them.

Anonymous said...

what time did you take the pictures at? they look dim. (no, not the dogs. well maybe linden does a little. :) )

Arvay said...

It was maybe 8 a.m. We have normal sunlight now (the sun rises higher, so it's yellow in color and actually feels warm, instead of making an all-day sunrise/sunset combo), but it was an overcast day.

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

Happy, happy! Joy, joy! Great dogs you have. Hmmmm, I recognize that house up on Chena Ridge...

BTW, are you going to take any pics of the Open North American? And if so, is there, like, kinda, sorta, maybe a chance you'd post some?

Arvay said...

Yeah, we'll probably go. Did you see my piccies last year? Actually, I think Dan took those.