nopin

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Salade Niçoise, Fairbanks-style

Also called "clean out the leftovers style." Apparently, the true and correct ingredients for a Salade niçoise are hotly debated among certain types. To them, I say, knock yourselves out arguing. I'll be over here eating my dinner.

The fresh tuna that is shipped up here is not very nice. I could have used cod or something else instead, but this was an unplanned meal, so I used what I had on hand. And I always have canned tuna on hand.


The best thing about being flexible is that you can be flexible. There are no green beans in Winter, so I used broccoli. The eggs and potatoes are from Autumn and Linden's former family. The carrots were from Freddie's, but Alaska-grown. The capers are from my last stash from A.G. Ferrari's. The corn is because I LOVE CORN.

And here are the girls figuring out their new bed, which I got for a steal off Sierra Trading Post. The problem is, they haven't figured out that they can sleep on the side of it and share it. No, one plops in the middle and the other goes to their grotty old comforter, which I had been hoping to be able to toss.

Here we see Linden in the bed:


And Autumn in the bed:


And Linden beside the bed:


And the closest they've come to sharing the bed:

7 comments:

TwoYaks said...

If it's tasty, that's how you're `supposed` to make it. :) Hey, you hit up Freds for fish more than I do (I'd been working off of what I had frozen). How /is/ the cod? What about their salmon? I'm fresh out of fish, and want to restock for the next bit (Until summer rolls around, and I can get more).

If I didn't know, I'd say the girls are getting territorial about the bed. :)

Arvay said...

I haven't bought seafood in a long time, but historically, their cod has been delicious. The halibut is pretty good. The salmon is okay in season, and quite terrible out of season. I wouldn't bother. I've also had some really excellent scallops, but the guilt of imported seafood got to me. :)

Anonymous said...

that is a funny sequence of pictures with the dogs and the bed.

Anonymous said...

I love your two girls. It's funny, but since I got my dog (a saluki cross - very pointy-nosed, tall and skinny), when I see your two, they look like total fuzzballs to me now ;-) Kind of the same effect as when you look at a hamster, after years of rats...

Arvay said...

Awwww, Debs I didn't know you had gotten a dog! Congratulations! I'm going to email you with a request for photographs right now!

Anonymous said...

If you throw away the old bed, they will both go on the new bed eventually. They used to live outside, the rug is already an upgrade to them, let alone the bed

Arvay said...

Just because they lived outside, it doesn't mean they didn't have a bed! They had a house filled with straw for them to build a bed with, which is softer than a rug and actually provides more cushion than their grotty old blanket currently does.