nopin

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Heartbreak

I, the hasty, careless idiot, slammed my ski pole into my car door, and the tip broke off. Those poles were given to me by a friend who had had them for decades. They don't even make poles like that any more. I called around and visited several sports shops, and they all said that they couldn't repair it. :( I couldn't even buy a used pair that was similar at Play it Again Sports. :( I was able to buy a brand-new pair at Beaver Sports for only $17 (they were on sale from 21, and were nice ones--Italian-made), but that only made me feel worse. We live in an age when too many good things are treated as disposable--tossed instead of repaired or refurbished. And I had never wanted to be one of those people who always buys the latest and greatest of everything instead of sticking with the good ol' ones they already have. I was very proud of my old poles, and I am very proud of my old skis. I am going to take better care of them from now on. :(

:*(

Anyway, here are some red berries outside the outhouse. They have been frozen solid all winter, and still look pretty.

6 comments:

The Enforcer said...

Instead of buying new jeans (like my sister does...monthly), I will be taking several pairs that fit me extremely well to the tailor's for some minor repairs. Aside from a few holes, the jeans are perfectly fine and I don't need new ones. I'd love to convince my consumerist sister that repairing what she already has is the way to go...

Ishmael said...

hard to tell for sure, but those don't look like cranberries. I'd be careful to not eat them if I were you. I'm just sayin'.

Arvay said...

Oh I don't eat anything wild-picked that is red! Thank you for your concern, though. To be honest, I have no idea what wild cranberries look like. Just blueberries and cluster-type-ones, like raspberries and blackberries.

Arvay said...

OK edited now, just in case anyone else reads this blog and, god forbid, takes my word as advice. Thanks, Ish.

Anonymous said...

I remember those berries in the summer by the outhouse! Remarkable that they still are there like that!

Anonymous said...

You can name them "outhouse berries" HAHAHAHA. that will keep anyone from trying to eat them. :)