nopin

Sunday, February 22, 2009

The downside of sled dogs as pets

"Your dogs are just amazing. Surely they do have some tiny imperfection though?!"

Their biggest imperfection is their inability to walk nicely on a leash. When we are on city streets, they have no sense of staying on the sidewalk and not on the street, wandering right, left, up, down, anywhere they please. So I have to keep them on their leashes. It is no problem when we are on our morning runs because they are in working mode, and run a nice pace, straight ahead, with me. And when we are standing still, that is no problem either--they wait patiently for me to take off a shirt, take a drink of water, etc. The problem only arises when I attempt to walk with them on a leash. I have to at least jog slightly to keep them in line, otherwise it's sniff here, sniff there, cross each other and tangle the leashes, etc. It's really quite unmanageable!

But aren't they cute?



3 comments:

I want to hike said...

Our dogs behave the same way, and they're not sled dogs! They love to explore when we're out for a walk ...

Anonymous said...

Hmm, well my new dog is the same. I know it's partly a training issue as nobody taught her polite lead walking in her previous life, but as a sighthound she will always scan the horizon for something furry to take off after if she gets half a chance...

It still sounds like your girls are about 99% perfect though, you're obviously keeping them very happy.

Anonymous said...

Watch out for cars when you walk them on the street.