nopin

Friday, February 6, 2009

Sore leg

When I woke up this morning, my one leg was all sore from yesterday's adventure. As it turns out, it's actually quite challenging to balance on one leg while in bumpy motion (getchermind out of the gutter!). Whoda thunk?

It reminds me of my Fall and Spring runs, when the temperatures are quite close to 32F/0C and the ice is slippery. The next morning after a particularly slippery run, not only are my legs sore, but my arms are sore, my back is sore, my belly is sore, my shoulders are sore. It turns out that running on slick ice is quite a balance job, that you perform automatically. Your body parts make all these split-second minute adjustments, without your conscious mind controlling it or even realizing it is happening. It makes me wonder what else my brain is taking care of without my realizing it. Good brain!

I was thinking the other day... When you raise your arm, what you think in your mind is, "Arm, raise." You don't think, "Tendon, pull," although that is what is actually happening. So I am wondering, is that something we are born with, or something we learn as infants and toddlers and have learned so well that we no longer realize we are thinking it? Do infants think, "I want this hand to do that, so I'll pull this tendon--no, whoops! Wrong tendon; that made the hand go the wrong way. Oh there! That's the one!" Do you think they do?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Experience is so important in life. You learned and probably won't do the one-leg stunt in the future? You are lucky for not hurting yourself.

Whatever sports, if people do it on two feet, there must be a good reason.

Arvay said...

Soreness is not an injury. When you hike or ride a bike or go bowling for the first time, you are sore afterwards, too. That doesn't mean you hurt anything. It's actually GOOD for you to use new muscle groups that you don't normally use. It makes them stronger and more resilient against injury.