nopin

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Been busy

It turns out that two of my classes are accelerated and will finish near Spring Break. That makes for an awesome second half of the semester, but unfortunately, that's not the half that I'd prefer to have more free time. I'd prefer to have more free time now, when there is snow available for me to make progress on my snow studies, ski, and skijor. What do I care if I have more free time after breakup, when all there is to do is slop around the mud?

Anyway, so as it is I am slammed right now. But today I caught a break when a prof called in sick and canceled a planned evening lecture. So now I get to post this post, finish my Ice Physics homework, and finish my CAD models for my fixture that I need for my research instead! Yay!

By the way, I've learned another challenge to living in a cold climate--it's difficult to walk around while eating something! This is very sad for me, because I spend a lot of time walking, and a lot of time eating, so it's nice when I can combine them. But a slice of pizza quickly turns into cardboard, I cannot manipulate an orange enough without taking off my mittens and risking frost bite to my fingers, and an apple goes WHOOP! slipping between my thumb and mitten and flying through the air in a lovely arc. It's such a shame.

By the way, when Punxsutawney Phil says six more weeks of Winter, we in Fairbanks say, "Yeah, and...?"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Back when I lived in Wisconsin, I got interested in "pasties" (rhymes with 'nasties'), a regional blue-collar/coal-miner lunch. It's their version of the calzone or pirogi or samosa. A buttery dough with meat/potatoes/cheese inside, about the size of your hand. I think they were baked, not deep fried, but I remember them to be salty, hot, and very rich. The locals favored pasties because they kept warm for a very long time once you left the house and went into the artic Wisconsin winter.
Make extra bread dough next time and wrap it up with some leftover stew or curry - should be easy and warm to eat...?

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I think you're not supposed to pronounce them "pay-stees" (rhymes with hasty) because those are the little tasseled caps that strippers attach to their breasts...?

I might have that the wrong way around, though!!

Arvay said...

AHAHAHAHAHA!!! Remember that lady in The Graduate that could turn her tassles in opposite directions? She had small boobs, too. That's some talent to manipulate them like that!

Arvay said...

By the way, that is a great idea... thanks!

Anonymous said...

they have cornish pasties in gold country towns too. they were brought to the US by welsh miners.

how can they just up and suddenly decide classes will end halfway through the semester? that seems like a bizarre nightmare.

Arvay said...

Well, one is just a 1-unit class. I inaccurately assumed that that meant it would only be an hour or two a week, but it turns out it means a full class, one third of the semester. The other class is accelerated by the prof's schedule requirements. Apparently, he has quite a few conferences to attend that will keep him out of town toward the end of the semester. Thank goodness my classes are more reasonable this semester and not like classical mechanics or statistical mechanics! Those were killer.