nopin

Monday, July 20, 2009

Greetings from Starkville, MS

I have a meeting with my sponsors and sibling-researchers from other Universities, so here I am in Starkville, MS. It has a quarter the population of Fairbanks, but it is much more "civilized"--it has strip malls, city lights, hotels, motels, fast food, chain restaurants, paved roads, and indoor plumbing in all facilities. What more could you want?

It's dark at night, though, and not just in comparison with Summer nights in Fairbanks. I mean, even in comparison with Winter nights in Fairbanks, which are lit up by reflectivity off the snow, and with nights year round in the Sili Valley, which have street lighting and tons of other ambient light. It's dark out there.

By the way, traveling from small town to small town is no fun. It took me a total of 15 hours, the same as between San Francisco and Hong Kong, and 5 flights. My way home will be better--only 3 flights, and from late morning to early evening, so, a normal day.

3 comments:

mdr said...

Drink a lot of fluid and C Monster. Get enough sleep. If you rent a car, drive carefully and avoid bad areas.

Remember where not to sit in the plane? Have a safe and good trip.

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

You just wrote a whole bunch of reasons why I love Fairbanks.

Arvay said...

And I haven't even mentioned the meese!