nopin

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Some garden photos

The basil is looking good. I wish I had done more. I'm going to finish all of this in two meals:


Peas:


Lakota squash:


Zucchini:


Sunbeam yellow squash:


Butternut squash:


A hybrid red tomato that I bought from Ann as a seedling:


Yellow cherry tomatoes, also started by Ann:


Good n early tomatoes:


Northern Exposure tomatoes:


4th of July tomatoes, supposed to bear fruit before the 4th of July (hah!):


Early Girls:


Potatoes:


Just for the record, my totally unscientific experiment indicates that of all of the tomato seedlings I started, the 4th of July and the Northern Exposures do the best.

9 comments:

Rena said...

How neat! I'm thinking you should totally do rows and rows and rows of peas next time. You've totally got the right weather for it.

Everything looks delicious!

Arvay said...

If I didn't use pots, I'd have peas on earth!

mdr said...

I wonder if we can eat tomato leaves? Try it on Bunn and if he seems okay the next day, then maybe.

Arvay said...

No; they are toxic. Not even moose will eat them.

blippir said...

Yes, tomato leaves are well known for being toxic. I think this is true of all night shade plants, which include potatoes as well.

Debs said...

Oh no, don't test the leaves on Bunn! We are also growing tomatoes and peas, though no squash plants this year. Your plants all look very healthy, so I hope you get a good crop. Do you get slugs and snails. They cause us lots of problems here ;-(

Arvay said...

Oh my mom's joking! She is always devising eebil experiments for her eebil grandkids. Two of hers are eebil--my sister's first cat and my Bunn--and they bear the brunt of her black humor. :)

We don't have snails or slugs. In fact, we hardly have any crop pests at all, save for the hugely macroscopic ones such as rabbits and moose. :)

Arvay said...

I am kind of tempted to eat my own pea shoots, though. They are delicious stir-fried or in soup. Of course if I do that, then I won't get peas...

I'm afraid I might be my own worst pest!

Rena said...

You can totally eat the tips of your pea plants - the plant will just branch out into two stalks instead of growing upwards. I did that this spring with mine once they got really tall and threatened to go past the top of my trellis.