nopin

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

They... asked me how I knew...

... my true love was true...

...Oh, when your heart's on fire
You must realize
Smoke gets in your eyes


I have two small, unique, unmarketable gifts. One is that if I need, say, 12 screws or nuts or rivets, and I go to the little drawer and pinch out a small handful, 90% of the time I get exactly 12 screws or nuts or rivets. It's like I have magic hands. The other is that I get astonishingly appropriate popular song lyrics in my head at exactly, astonishingly appropriate moments.

Anyway, the smoke is still thick today, but it is showering off and on, which makes the air more tolerable. Surprisingly, the particulate levels are only a smidge higher than they are during the extremely cold days of Winter, when we have static ice fog from people's wood stoves--258 micrograms per cubic meter at 3 p.m. yesterday, as opposed to 249 mpc on Dec. 29, the highest one-hour reading of last Winter. It sure feels ten times worse than it did in Winter.

3 comments:

TwoYaks said...

That's because it's not just the particulate levels that are bad, but what those particulates are made of. It's weird to think that inhaling car exhaust in the winter is better for you, but compared to incompletely combusted wood-smoke...

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

One is that if I need, say, 12 screws or nuts or rivets, and I go to the little drawer and pinch out a small handful, 90% of the time I get exactly 12 screws or nuts or rivets. It's like I have magic hands.

Every handyman in the world is now jealous of your hands. You do use duct tape for projects, don't you? LOL

Arvay said...

duct tape instead of rivets, you mean?