nopin

Friday, July 24, 2009

Southern Food

How is it that the South is still populated? If I lived there, I'd eat until I exploded. I seriously could not help but stuff myself with their rich, ambrosial food--smoky, moist pulled pork drowned in sweet, spicy sauce, buttery biscuits that are so light and flaky they seem to float on air, creamy cole slaw, golden fried hush puppies that seem to melt in your mouth, the lightest, moistest, crispiest deep fried catfish I'd ever tasted... Even my free breakfast at the hotel--with the usual assortment of rubbery eggs, rock-hard rolls, and stale prepackaged cereals--was blessed with those levitating biscuits. I guess Southerners are just incapable of serving bad biscuits.

Oh, and Little Dooey, I am in love with you.

Deep fried goodness:


Mississippi State University has an extensive agriculture program, and they make their own ice cream!


And now... puppy pictures!

They are now about 6 weeks old. They are getting bigger:


And are playful:


And are curious:


They already smile, as all huskies do:


Poor mama getting mauled. The pups have little sharp teeth now.


She jumps on top of her house to escape:


Puppies are constantly on the move and are difficult to photograph:


And they are into everything!


"Pick me up!"

5 comments:

Biting Tongue said...

Puppies!!!!

Are you going to get one?

-bt

Arvay said...

No, thank you!

I feel about puppies the way I feel about human children--they are adorable and wonderful creatures, when they belong to someone else! :)

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

THEY ARE SO CUTE!!!!!!

Mmmmmmm, real southern biscuits... lucky, lucky you! Have a few for me.

Debs said...

Beautiful! Did either of your girls ever have puppies?

Arvay said...

Autumn was bred, but a litter never took. I think she may have been infertile, but I had her spayed nonetheless because I didn't want to risk pyometra.

Linden was once mated accidentally, and she had a single puppy. He was placed in a pet home immediately after weaning, so never really joined the family or team on the farm. I cannot imagine Linden as a mother, though I'm told she was a good one. I wonder if she ever let anyone pet or cuddle her pup, or if she tried to steal all the attention away from him, as well!