nopin

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My peas got raided!

I'm not sure what sort of critter did it, but the tops of my pea vines have been nipped off! What sort of critter would do this? The only candidates we have are rabbits and meese, and neither seems likely to me. I cannot imagine either a rabbit standing on his hind feet, or a moose delicately nibbling, to get only the tops of the vines while leaving the rest of them, as well as the other veggies, intact.

In fact, the only creature I can think of who loves the tips of pea vines but would leave the rest alone is... MEEE! Did I, in a bout of somnambulance, wander outside and eat the tips of my own pea vines?

Oh, my friend M just sent these photos from berry picking. Some of us pose nicely for the camera. Others of us just show our best side.



7 comments:

Debs said...

Pigeons sometimes pinch the top of pea plants, that's why I've left mine in the greenhouse this year.

Love the best side pics!

mdr said...

Had to be some bird, eagle?

Arvay said...

A vegetarian eagle? That's just the thing, actually. Most of the birds around here are seed-eaters or insectivores.

Debs said...

You must have heard of the White-Tailed Pea Eagle? They're a real problem this time of year!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-tailed_Eagle

Arvay said...

A p'eagle! That has to be it!

This morning I picked all of my peas, even the immature pods, which I will stir-fry into a veggie mix. I'll give this one more night. If my thief comes back, I'm cutting all the vines, stir-frying the shoots, and feeding the thick parts to the bunnies. That'll be the end of my peas-ful Summer. :(

blip said...

You can throw a veggie net over them. They are to protect fruits/veggies from predators.

Arvay said...

Veggie net? Hmmm... I'm going to go to the garden center tonight and see what they've got. Thanks for the idea!