nopin

Monday, July 27, 2009

The stars of my garden

Here are some photos of the most prolific and/or impressive members of my garden. Please excuse the poor quality of the photos. The air has an eerie glow at times, nowadays, thanks to the local wildfires. My camera doesn't know what to make of it.

First up is the Lakota squash. It's taken off like some gorgeous vegetable explosion, and it's got at least a dozen little yellow behbeh squashes on it.


It also makes the most beautiful of the squash blossoms.


These peas have given me lots of peas, though not a lot at once. I add them to salads and stir-fried veggie mixes:


One of the real stars, the bees. Alaskan bees are fast! I couldn't get a good photo.


All four of the tomato plants I started from seed have little green tomatoes now:


The tomatoes from Ann's starters are dwarfing mine:


The strawberries are growing like crazy and sending runners everywhere, but aren't producing strawberries. I'm not sure what to do about that.

I also got some alpine strawberries from Ann, and they are dee-licious and candy-sweet.

My first acorn squash! And I've got lots of them on the way!


The last zucchini of my current batch of zucchini madness, but I have more on the way within a week or two:


The sunbeam makes the prettiest plant--it's big and symmetric, and doesn't make runners. It looks like a bush, if you've ever heard of a squash bush.


And BT was right--my little patch of basil makes lots and lots of basil. I cut it back, it comes back.


The potatoes are also doing well. What didn't do so hot? Well, my eggplant seedlings died quickly after I put them outside. The tenderpod beans and butterbush squash are making pretty plants, but are not producing at all. The pumpkin also died in infancy. And I flat-out forgot to do butternut squash, although it is my favorite Winter squash. I must have been half asleep when I put in my seed order.

8 comments:

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

Basil and tomato are good "companion" plants. I find they both thrive when right next to each other. Jus' sayin'.

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

And yes, the more you snip the basil the more it grows. You can also get more time (and leaves) out of it by snipping the buds when it tries to flower at the end of season.

mdr said...

Really nice garden:-)
The pea plant, I wonderif it is the same as Chinese market's pea sprout/leaves? Try it on Bunn first and wait for 48 hours.

Arvay said...

Pea sprouts are edible for sure, but I just can't see where I can cut any away to eat without sacrificing some peas...

Tails said...

I dont know why your strawberries arent producing, but I found these two pages:

http://gardening.about.com/od/fruitsberriesnuts/a/Strawberries.htm

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg0710410014797.html

which might help?

Arvay said...

Cool articles, thanks. I don't know about waiting another year... here, only alpine strawberries can over Winter. The rest, we treat as annuals, as that one poster says. I think I'll ask the guy that I bought them from.

andrew@rabbit-cages.com said...

Hey there, I tried to find your email on the dancewithrats site but couldn't. I'm in the process of adding quality rabbit sites and blogs to my website and I would love to add yours, please email me!

mdr said...

Wow, Mr. Bunn will soon be famous.