nopin

Friday, September 16, 2011

The chameleon I've become

I've spent some time gathering together professional-looking clothes for an upcoming conference. I tried on some dresses and suits and checked out my appearance in the corner windows, which become mirrors against the dark night outside. This conference is quite hoity-toity and includes a formal banquet, so I also got to business with makeup and examined myself in the mirror.

I was pleased with the results, but I must say, this exercise always surprises me. Apparently, I can transform into a different person with a change of clothes and a ten-minute makeup job, and not merely appear to fill a role but actually to become that person. As I approach 34, I am still youthful, but I'm no longer the mere girl I once was, and I fill out both clothes and personalities much better than I ever did before. I attend fancy shindigs in the Lower 48 with no-one suspecting I live in a 16x20 foot dry cabin heated with wood. I attend my neighborhood association meetings here in Ester and no-one suspects that I am still included on many lists of Silicon Valley movers and shakers. I feel blessed that I can do this, but it's also a bit unsettling as I realize how easy it is to change to fit a mold of others' expectations. And I wonder, if I can and do change so easily, then who am I?

The best answer I have come up with is, I am all of these things. I am each of them at different times, and to be one is not to deny the others. To take away any part of this is to take away part of who I am. So yes, I am a *very* happy log cabin dweller with a weakness for fancy parties. I wear pearls and Carhartts (though not at the same time, usually!). I split wood, I haul water, I garden, and I can walk just fine in four-inch stiletto heels (though not on my own dirt road!).

Oh, here is my latest photo dump...

I pulled up my potatoes last night. Lovely, aren't they? I had forgotten what kinds of potatoes I had planted. The upside of having a bad short-term memory is that life is full of little surprises, such as beautiful jewel-toned potatoes!


Slept in a bit this morning as I waited for the rain to subside, which is usually does in the early mornings. Still had a drizzly run, but the sky cleared up as I got home. I snapped this in the front yard, looking up at a birch sapling:

6 comments:

Rena said...

hmph, I dunno if I would use the word "chameleon". Your multiple roles are not deceptive facades, they're all part of who you are. And you are a very what-you-see-is-what-you-get kinda gal. Thank goodness for that!

I'd say you're more of a polished diamond - you have lots of different facets, making you shiny and wonderful all at once!

Arvay said...

Awww! That is a heck of a compliment from a lady who is highly accomplished in her own right! You totally made my week!

Allmycke said...

Sometimes I feel the same way. My students are 13-16 years old which reqires me to be one person at work. I am the guardian for two "unaccompanied refugee children" and am a totally different person when I represent them in dealings with various government agencies and authorities. I am also Sami and when I'm at the pen for calf branding or slaughter I am yet another person.
Yes, those are all facets of me and none of them alone is enough to describe me as a person.

mdr said...

You are a precious alexandra stone (from Russia) that changes colors according to the light.

mdr said...

Alexandrite is very scarce. The most sensational feature about this stone, however, is its surprising ability to change its colour. Green or bluish-green in daylight, alexandrite turns a soft shade of red, purplish-red or raspberry red in incandescent light. This unique optical characteristic makes it one of the most valuable gemstones of all, especially in fine qualities.

Arvay said...

Why, thank you!