nopin

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Scenes from the Hood

I snapped these on my way to the farm for my last pickup of the season:











And here is said pickup:


Here is a flower from my neighbor's garden:


I had been curious about the fate of that poor, sun-starved corn, so she saved me one, informing me to just cook and eat the whole thing:

I was well into my teens before I learned that baby corn was actually, you know, baby corn. For some reason, I had thought it was an entirely different creature, perhaps the stamen of Cala lily or something. Like you know how baby carrots are actually ground down bits of adult carrots? Something like that. It turns out that baby corn is actually baby corn. So there you have it. Call me edjumucated.

I left with gifts:

That is pickled zucchini, kippered salmon in olive oil, and nasturtium jelly. The nasturtium jelly is very beautiful, no? It reminds me of a sunset.

My neighbor is very proud of her nasturtiums, of which she harvested all of the last yesterday evening:


When I got home, I made my own jam, using a quart of blueberries and my wee, tiny harvest of aqpiks:


And here are some snapshots of our Fall mornings, with the waning gibbous moon setting as the sun rises and the fog burns off:






Beautiful, no?

1 comment:

Rena said...

That was fast! Seems that just week your trees were staaaaarting to turn color and now kaboom!
We're having earthquake weather over here - hot hot during the day, cold at night.
Are the girls getting their winter coats? we were just talking about doggies this morning and the kids said that they'd like to see Autumn and Linden again and bake doggie biscuits for them.