nopin

Monday, September 19, 2011

Waiting impatiently...

Now that the cusp of fall's beauty has passed, I am anxious to be into cooler weather and drop below freezing. Why? Because the trails will freeze and become accessible again! Once snow comes, it'll be even better, so I can ski, but for now, I'd be happy just to be able to take long walks in the woods again.

The brief time of year when the ground has frozen, but snow hasn't yet come in large quantities, is a fleeting time window during which some trails are at their best. The summer is just plain awful, if not completely impassible, due to mud, and later into winter, they are steep enough to intimidate all but the strongest skiers. Overnight trips to certain places become out of the question, as I am not a good enough skier to trust myself with a full overnight pack. I will only ski with a full overnight pack on pretty flat terrain.

I already overnight trips planned to two different hot springs with two different groups of friends! Yay! C'mon, ground! Freeze up for me!

3 comments:

b said...

Where do you spend the night when you ski-camp? Are there heated huts? Or do you need special insulated tents? Do you still have to run out in the middle of the night to use the bathroom? BRRRRR!

Rena said...

Seriously b, I don't know how she runs out to her own outhouse during winter! I'd be peeing in the sink by December!

Arvay, can you believe that we hit 92 today at our house, and we're still trying to cool the house down right now at 11:30pm....aiyaiyai!

Arvay said...

I have a sleeping bag that is rated to -5F, which means -15F for me as I sleep very warm and tend to burn up in the middle of the night, even at home. Which is enough for me as I have no intention of ever camping below -15F. Also... most, if not all, trailheads don't have plugins, so if it's below that temperature, range, we shouldn't be planning overnight adventures anyway as the car might not start.

One of the hot springs has rental cabins that have wood stoves, so we'll be in there. For the other, I'm camping and cuddling with my cuddlies. :)