nopin

Thursday, September 1, 2011

The most beautiful place I've ever camped

Now back to reportage of our Southerly Adventure.

Here we have the beautiful Rocky Lake, in the community of Big Lake. M and I had decided that after being traumatized by Wasilla and Palmer, we would not rest well until they were in our rear-view mirror, so we consulted our Alaska atlas and chose a place to spend the night that was a bit outside of Palmer on our way home.

I could not believe how beautiful it was. The lake surface was like a mirror:






Our tents along the water reminded me of camping along the slough in Manley:


This fireweed caught the evening sun:


I couldn't decide which of these crops of this photo I liked better, so I'm sharing them both:


The water was crystal-clear:


Smoked salmon quesadillas!


The girls started to wander off, as huskies are wont to do, so they got tied to a tree:


Imagine our surprise to see the trash receptacle looking like this:

I asked the camp host, weren't they concerned about bears? He said no; that bears were afraid of people. That was a new one on me. We still cleaned our camp of food before we went to bed!

The next morning was chilly:


And mist covered the lake:




It burned off as the morning grew warmer:




Here are the dowgs staying nicely in camp:


And that concludes the Big Lake report. I still have one more report from the Southerly Adventure in my back pocket! Watch this space.

Edited to add: Giant pumpkins!

3 comments:

DJC said...

Great photos, especially of the lake. I can't get over how awesome it looks in the morning with the mist/fog over it like that. It doesn't even look real!

Thanks for sharing these.

rena said...

Unbelievable! Very very pretty.

flying fish said...

Both Palmer and Anchorage are like that about bears and garbage! When I visit my siblings, I'm blown away by the lack of bear proofing. I like the 'bears are afraid of people' answer though, hehehee!