nopin

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Skeeters

I am not a high-maintenance person, but I am finding the mosquitoes this summer to be borderline intolerable.

However, I had long heard stories of how much worse they are in the tundra. M told me that when she was doing fieldwork outside of Barrow, when she showered at the end of the day, she'd find squished mosquitoes in her naughty bits, that had just happened to fly in there when she peed outdoors. **shudder**

Recently, two photos have fallen across my view. This one was taken at Atigun Pass:


image credit: Alyeska Pipeline Service Company

And these were taken in Kotzebue:





Holy... What the... I mean... Ughhhhhaaaarrrrlllgh?? How do people live there???

Today in warm fuzzies news:

Massachusetts company WellPet donates 5600 pounds of dog food to Galena flooding victims.

Very enthusiastic Fairbanks labrador retriever loses national retrieving competition for being too enthusiastic (but he's a winner, to me).

3 comments:

Rena said...

WHAAAAATTTT??

Uggggh, I've gotta go bathe...in deet, I think.

Also, thank you for the paws salve suggestion (and link, which I neglected to see was actually a link. duh). I will put it in my amazon basket.

mdr said...

Heat wave, yes. Remember no mosquitos here all year round ?

Arvay said...

It's colder up there! And windier! But their mosquitoes are a million times worse!