nopin

Friday, April 24, 2009

Liquid water outdoors

Yesterday at the end of my workday I stepped outside to see liquid droplets falling from the sky. What. Was. That?? Liquid water? Outdoors? I had to recall back to September. Oh yes, rain! It was raining! And that should do it for even the die-hards, that were willing to ski on some icy, slushy stuff. I took my skis out of the car yesterday evening and put them away.

I wasn't wearing enough clothes, either. I had forgotten that in Summer, clouds mean it's colder, not warmer, because we have this thing called the sun, which when not blocked provides warmth. It's also kind of novel to be outside, not wearing sufficient clothing, and be merely uncomfortable. You say, "Dangit, I should have worn a warmer jacket." But you are merely uncomfortable, not in danger of frostbite, or hypothermia. All you say is, "Dang." You don't say, "I'd better get indoors as soon as possible, or I may lose some fingers or toes." It's so novel.

It rained through the night, and at some point the temperatures must have dropped below freezing, because there was the lightest dusting of snow on the ground this morning. The night before last was the first night it had not dropped below freezing this Spring so far.

I am anxious for the ground to thaw now so I can bust it up and put in my seedlings. They are growing so quickly I may have to transplant them into bigger pots before I have a chance to put them into the ground!



Here are the girls relaxing:

3 comments:

mdr said...

I think you would be very good at any agricultural major as well. You have a green thumb.

Rena said...

Seedlings lookin good! Looks like you guys will be buried in squash/cukes(?) this year!

Arvay said...

Yup, it's zucchini, yellow squash, and the rest are Winter squash and pumpkins. There are also tomatoes, basil, beans, peas, and eggplant.