nopin

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Miscellany

Here is a cute photo of Sam from Dan's birthday dinner party:


On Dan's actual birthday, we went to The Turtle Club. They are known for their prime rib and their truly enormous shrimp (a plate of four is considered "for large appetites"). But to me, the most outstanding thing on the menu is their deep-fried halibut. It is the best I've ever had. It is better than you can imagine deep-fried fish can possibly be. It's like deep-fried fish nirvana.

Okay next topic is this "Spring" thing we are having. Temperatures are coming above freezing every day now, and the city has scraped the hardpack off the roads and it's time to take Fred to the tire shop and have his studded tires swapped for his Summer tires. This weekend will be the last time the girls and I ski on the Tanana before I won't trust it any more. How sad. It's been a really great neighborhood playground for us. See how happy they are in the photos I've taken!

Now what are we going to do for fun? Hrrmph!

My final topic today is... does anyone have any suggestions of what to do with crowberries? A friend of mine left a gallon or so of them on my car one day last summer (don't ask), and they got buried in the back of my freezer and I've only just re-found them now. What should I do with them? I was thinking I'd better not put too much work into them, just in case after all this time, they have picked up some fish or other freezer odors. So I was thinking of just making them into a kind of sauce (like cranberry sauce), and then serving it with ice cream. That way, if they're no good, we can still eat the ice cream. I'm not sure I want to invest even the time to make a pie crust.

A brief internet search pointed me to another Alaskan food blog, though, so I've added it to my sidebar there to keep Dingo Dave company. :)

3 comments:

mdr said...

If crowberries are like other berries with high vitamin C, maybe blend them with honey/sugar for a drink. Nor sure if you can consume them raw though? Try it on Bunn, Millie, Autumn and Linden first.

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

Thanks for the link to another food blog :)

Regarding crowberries... I think I'd do with them what I did with the wild cherries I picked this past summer. Lots and lots of sugar as they are pretty tart. And after a bit of simmering you can strain the liquid and pulp to get rid of the pits. Here's how I did it for the really tart cherries (BTW, we still have one jar left).

http://dingodavedelightfullydaringdelicacies.blogspot.com/2009/02/chili-cherry-chutney.html

Obviously, you can omit the chillis, garlic, and onion and just get the tasty syrup :)

Arvay said...

Hm, that sounds really good. I'm not sure whether I want to add things like orange or lemon zest, cloves, cinnamon, etc to add some flavor, or whether I want to leave it pretty simple to experience true crowberriness, whatever that may be!