nopin

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Sad and happy news to report

Seven weeks ago, the lead dog of a local mushing friend of mine died after giving birth to five live puppies and one stillbirth. It was very sad, but my friend was pleased to have five beautiful puppies from her star leader. She bottle-raised them and is now in the process of weaning them. I have gone to see them several times... they are absolutely adorable little fluffballs!

Now my friend had a dilemma. Without their canine mama, who would provide proper training for them as they grew up? Whom could they emulate to learn basic sledding commands? She tried putting them in the dog yard with several of their aunties and uncles, and none of them showed any interest, and in fact one of the pups got snapped at by an annoyed boy.

Well, guess who showed interest in them? Autumn and Linden did! So guess what? She will be bringing those pups to ME! Autumn and Linden will be raising them! And as it turns out, they use a lot of the same breeding lines as Autumn's and Linden's former family does, and we sat down and worked out that Autumn and Linden are great-grand-aunties of these kids! Isn't that adorable? Autumn and Linden will be raising and training their great-grand-nieces and nephews! Awwwww! Isn't it sweet!

There are two boys and three girls. One boy and one girl are solid white, and the other three are black and brown. Their names are Ava, Riley, Pointer, Sassy, and Ontario. Awwwww! Puppies!

Edit: Happy April Fool's Day! No houseful of puppies for me, thank goodness! Puppies, they are adorable, but not for me! :) Props to anyone who noticed that the first few letters of the names sort of suggest poisson d'avril.

8 comments:

The Enforcer said...

YAY!! That sounds like so much fun! Lots of little fuzzballs around to keep a smile on your face! Pics!!!

;)

Christy Mesker said...

I can not WAIT to see photos of theh pups with your girls! *squeeeee*

Anonymous said...

Clearly these are all lies, LIES! I demand photographic proof. :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Soon you will have a whole team to mush your sled to Barrows!

-bt

Debs said...

I'm pretty sure you should ask your friend to check she's offering you the right puppies. I'm sure on their pedigree, one of the girls is called April, and one of the boys is called something beginning with F...

It's either that, or you really are the luckiest person alive and I'm going to disappear into a big fuzzball (or five) of envy lol

Arvay said...

AHAHAHAHA!!! I didn't seem to get too many people this year. :)

No, I am not getting five puppies. In fact, I would not even WANT five puppies, except for just a day to cuddle and snuggle, but then give them back at the end of the day! Could you imagine five 8-month old pups in the house? :O

mdr said...

I was very worried until I saw your reply. April Fool's Day?

If any "friend" counts on you to raise puppies in a small cabin and full schdule with work/school, that is not a friend.

Arvay said...

A true friend is someone who encourages you to pursue your dreams, even when they sound silly, as long as they are neither patently destructive nor harmful to yourself or others.

A hobby that may be a lot of work but provides you happiness? I see nothing wrong with that. It's just that a litter of puppies is not something I'm currently willing to take on, is all!