nopin

Friday, May 14, 2010

I drew a line

I still had wood that needed to be cut to length. Maybe a third of a cord of full-length logs that were cut and stripped when the land was cleared, a pile of miscellaneous 2-foot logs, also dating from when the land was cleared but heaped into an unexplainable pile, and finally, a giant black spruce that had died standing, and that I had cut down last Summer. It was in 4-ft lengths.

I have never used a chain saw, so I figured I'd hit up Sam's dad, who used to work for a lumber mill, for lessons, then rent one.

Then I actually began to think about the reality of me + chain saw and thought... meh. I went to Craigslist and found a guy who cut all my logs to length for $60! Totally worth it. And I still have two arms and two legs!

So... sorry to disappoint those of you who root for kick-ass Alaska girl to do everything, but I think my chosen course displayed the better part of valor. :)

4 comments:

Rena said...

That's money well-spent. I'm glad you are conscious of your limits.

But you should learn how to use a chainsaw anyways - it's not hard and it's a useful life skill. If it makes you nervous, then invite a friend over to spot you while you do saw.

Get an electric one if you won't use it very often - then you don't have to fiddle with oil/gas maintenance every time you want to use it. The electric ones don't have the power of the gas ones, but it's worth it to just plug it in and use it immediately.

Anonymous said...

Here is the blog of a fast learner! I remember when I first brought my kids back home to live, as a new single parent I wanted to prove that I could do it and do it right. (Well, except I did live next door to my parents the first year.) I was the everything woman...until one day, as I was rolling around underneath on of those 4 1/2 feet tall propane tanks on my icy path. As I lay there, so exhausted I was giggling, I looked over and saw my dad leaning against his house with his arms crossed. "Ready for some help?", was all he said.

Arvay said...

Rena, how quickly you forget my fear of power tools! I'm trying to keep two legs and two arms firmly attached, remember? :) Actually, I'd like to cut up one log with a chain saw, under supervision, just to say I've done it, but then that's it.

unalaska, that's a great story! Thanks for sharing!

mdr said...

Please always remember your father/mother are not nearby as Lady Unalaska.

Please always have a backup plan if you ever need immediate help.

You showed true smartness for hiring someone. Money well spent. Even if you did it yourself successfully without harming yourself, is it worth the "fear/worry" while operating the chainsaw? Money well spent.