nopin

Monday, May 31, 2010

Misc

So after going to the Farmer's Market for the first time a few weeks ago and seeing how much further along the greenhouse-started seedlings were than my own, I kind of gave up and fed the majority of mine to Millie. It seemed that the effort of hauling water and caring for a garden all Summer would be better spent on more mature plants that would produce more. So all I kept were the peas and basil, which grow quickly enough to be worth my while, and my seed potatoes, which had begun to form their own ecosystem in the cupboard. Went to Calypso Farm today to pick up some tomato seedlings, and that'll be all I'm growing this year. I figure most of my veggies will come from my subscription to Rosie Creek Farm, which starts this week with, I was warned, nothing but salad and braising greens. Fresh salad? No complaints here!

Butterfly! There are hundreds of these fluttering about lately. I don't know what they are called, but they are very beautiful!


Bunn's final resting place. He loved to eat roses, so it's perfect!


Holly gave birth to the last of Calypso Farm's behbeh lambos for the season. That's three sets of twins, all rams! They say that they aren't going to wether them, though, and keep all six as fully functional rams. I don't recall the details why... Maybe they will make good studs? Anyway, they sure are cute!


Isn't he a-freakin'-dorable?

5 comments:

mdr said...

I think you made a good decision:-) Enjoy your summer and relax.

Debs said...

It looks like a swallowtail butterfly - I'm not totally sure, but they only live in a couple of locations in the UK, and are rare enough that I've only ever seen one or two.

Debs said...

I've looked up your local variation and it's a Canadian Tiger Swallowtail - look out for the caterpillars, they're amazing!

http://www.cbif.gc.ca/spp_pages/butterflies/species/CanadianTigerSwallowtail_e.php

Anonymous said...

See the picture on the May 28 post on explorenorth.com/wordpress/
It looks like your butterflies long-lost twin.

Arvay said...

Wow, good job, Debs! That little caterpillar is adorable. :)