nopin

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Warning

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.


--Jenny Joseph



7 comments:

bt said...

I.

Love.

You.

Rena said...

So when the snow comes, will you bring your flamingos inside, or will they be covered up by 10' of snow?

You sure have a lot of those horsetails in your yard. That means something but I can't remember. They're somewhat medicinal too, but can't remember.

mdr said...

I LOVE YOU TOO

Rena said...

Hmm, this from Wiki:
The leaves are used as a dye and give a soft green colour. An extract is often used to provide silica for supplementation. Horsetail was often used by Indians to polish wooden tools. Equisetum species are often used to analyze gold concentrations in an area due to their voracious ability to take up the metal when it is in a solution.[11]

If you ever want to, er, horse around with a mass spectrometer at your school you could take in a sample of your horsetail weeds to see if you have gold on your property!

Anonymous said...

I sometimes try a little purple and red for practice!

Arvay said...

No, I like the idea of having pink flamingos in the snow!

And I love all of you, too!

Debs said...

I love the flamingoes. I've also loved that poem for years, one of my favourites.